That, my friend, is a lovely starter my Mom makes in dinner parties or if she just wants to make a small treat to make us happier. She and all of the great cooks (a.k.a my aunts and Mom’s friends) back in my birthland make it, but in a different way than mine. It is fast and easy to make, with a few ingredients we all have in our fridge. Cliche, I know, but it’s true.
So, they take long green peppers, “horns”, and they stuff them with bacon or a few cocktail sausages. You know, those small ones that you eat raw out of their packet!! Who? Me?
They add in cheese, any yellow cheese will do, and put them in a small pan. They drizzle them with oil, salt, pepper and some tomato puree or/and ketchup! BOOM! The ketchup is the ingredient that combines all the flavors and makes this dish a bit “junk”. That’s why it tastes so good! The peppers are baked until a golden crust is formed and the cheese has melted!! YYM! Drooling on the keyboard!
My version happened out of the blue, mid-preparing lunch, in a creative rush (that’s why I have very few pics, mainly up-close…I didn’t think of capturing it in the pan, before and after..), fully focused, wanting to make an extra treat for my man.
So, I’ll give it to you as it happened in my brain!
- I washed, removed the seeds and sliced 2 green bell peppers in thick rings.
- I placed them in a small pan.
- I added 2 slices of bacon chopped and 1 sausage Frankfurter chopped.
- I sprinkled 5 tablespoons of grated cheese I had in the fridge.
- And finished it with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 3 tablespoons ketchup.
- I covered it with foil and baked it for 20′ until the cheese had melted, the meat had cooked and the peppers had softened.
You can bring it to your liking by adding chilly flakes, paprika or any spice you adore. You can use red or any other peppers.
It is best eaten warm, when the cheese is still runny!