A more delicate Vassilopita with subtle flavors is this one with Rosewater and Masticha. It reminds me of fairy gardens and early Spring. Try it! In Greek and in English ↓ .
WHAT YOU NEED :
- 1 cup real butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/2 cup rosewater
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed masticha
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 4 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup ground almonds, skin on
- In a mixer bowl add butter and sugar and mix at medium speed for 6′-7′ until fluffy and white. Add the egg yolks one by one and keep mixing.
- Shift the flour with the baking powder.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, rosewater, masticha, milk and flour mixture.
- Mix separately the egg whites until fluffy and turned into meringue.
- Stop the mixer. With a spatula fold the meringue carefully into the mixture and then add the almonds, too.Keep folding until well-incorporated.
- Preheat the oven at 170 C (340 F).
- Grease a pan of 30 cm diameter (12 inch) and line with parchment paper. Pour the cake mixture in and bake for 50′ or until the sides of the cake have unstuck from the walls of the pan.
- When it cools down remove from the pan, add the lucky coin from the bottom and decorate with some shifted powdered sugar.
Good luck! Happy New Year’s Eve!