In a more nutty tone you could try and make this Vasilopita with Almonds and Tangerine. It gives off aromas of winter and it has a rich taste to satisfy your taste buds and lift your spirits. In Greek here . In English ↓ ↓
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup fresh real butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 1/2 cup tangerine zest
- a pinch of cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup tangerine juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 200 gr light yoghurt
- 5 cups self-rising flour, shifted
- 1 cup almonds, ground, skin off
- Preheat the oven at 170 C (340 F).
- In a mixer bowl add butter and sugar and mix at medium speed for 6′-7′ until fluffy and white. Add the egg yolks one by one and keep mixing.
- Add the zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- With swift moves and over the mixing bowl, dissolve the soda in the tangerine juice. This mixture will foam and rise rapidly so stirring quickly add it in the bowl.
- Add the yoghurt and flour and keep mixing until consistent. Stop the mixture.
- Add the crushed almonds and fold them in with a spatula and smooth movements.
- Grease a pan of 30 cm (12 inch) and line with parchment paper. Pour the cake batter and bake for 45′ or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool down and remove from the pan. Add the lucky coin vertically,under the cake, from the bottom.
- Sprinkle with shifted powdered sugar.
Good luck and Happy New Year’s Eve!!