I’ve had these courgettes for too long in my fridge so today had to be their day. I also knew I had a long afternoon ahead of me so I needed something to make me feel full longer. So I decided to cook them with rice. A fast and simple recipe with few ingredients and you won’t believe how tasty this dish is.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 50g butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5-6 courgettes diced
- 220g wild rice (or any other)
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1.5 teaspoon oregano
- 50g grated Parmesan or any other cheese
- salt, pepper
- Fill a medium size pot with water and bring to boil.
- Put the rice and a pinch of salt in and stir. Lower the heat and stirring occasionally, leave it until the rice soaks almost all of the water, about 10 minutes. Turn it off.
- In the meantime, while the rice is boiling, melt the butter with the oil in a wok or a deep frying pan at medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and fry gently until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced courgettes and the garlic and stir for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice to coat it in the buttery onions and courgettes for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 glasses of water and stir some more. By now the rice will look thick, a little like risotto or porridge.
- Add the oregano, a pinch of pepper, the lemon zest and juice and 2 pinches of salt. Stir until smooth and resembling risotto and turn it off.
- Add the cheese and tadaaahhhh!! Eat it like it’s hot …. if you know what I mean!
This recipe is an adoptation of bbc good food and it was love at first sight!